Herb Grilled Maine Lobster Tail on Arugula with Chive Ricotta Gnocchi & Corn Milk Recipe
By: Sous Chef Kelly Patrick Farrin, Azure Cafe, Freeport
Winner of the 2010 Maine Lobster Chef of the Year Competition
(4 Portions/Dinner Entree, prepare in 45 minutes total, cook time 15-20 minutes, total meal in 1 hour, 20 minutes)
Maine Lobster Tail 4 each
Herb Infused Butter 4 oz.
Wilted Arugula 4 cups packed
Grape Tomatoes 1/2 cup
Chive Ricotta Gnocchi 32 each
Corn Milk Puree 6 oz.
Grilled Maine Lobster Tail
Maine Lobster Tail 4 each/split and deveined
Unsalted Butter 4 oz.
Thyme 1/2 teaspoon, minced
Chive 1/2 teaspoon, minced
Rosemary 1/2 teaspoon, minced
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Maine Sea Salt Pinch per Tail
Fresh Arugula 4 cups packed
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 Tablespoon
Grape Tomatoes 1/2 cup quartered
Garlic 1 teaspoon, minced
Fresh Lemon Juice 2 teaspoon
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Chive Ricotta Gnocchi
Ricotta Cheese 1 Cup
Egg Yolks 2 each
Parmesan Cheese 1/2 cup, shredded
Nutmeg Pinch Lemon Zest 2 teaspoon
Chives, minced 2 Tablespoon
All Purpose Flour 3/4 cup
Salt 1/2 Tablespoon
Butter 2 ounces
Corn Milk Puree
Corn on cob 2 each
Salt To Taste
Grilled Maine Lobster Tail (Prep Time: 5 mins.)
Cut with sharp knife down the middle underside of each tail lengthwise, remove intestinal debris. Leave lobster meat in halved shell.
In small sauce pan add butter, thyme, chives, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to simmer, and reserve.
Rub lobster tail with Maine Sea Salt and grill, meat side down first for 2 1/2 minutes.
Flip lobster tails and brush meat with herb-infused butter. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 more minutes. Reserve excess herb-infused butter.
Wilted Arugula (Prep Time: 5 mins.)
1. Wash arugula in cold water, place in salad spinner to remove excess water.
2. Cut grape tomatoes into quarters, length and width cut.
3. Bring saute pan to medium heat.
4. Add olive oil and garlic to saute pan. Cook just until it begins to change color.
5. Immediately, add grape tomatoes. Cook 1 minute.
6. Add arugula to saute pan, toss with tongs for 1 minute.
7. Finish with fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan leaving behind excess liquid.
Method – Chive Ricotta Gnocchi (Prep Time: 15 mins.)
1. Mix ricotta cheese, egg yolks, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, lemon zest, chives and salt together in mixing bowl with rubber spatula. Fully combine.
2. Slowly add sifted All Purpose flour to ricotta mix. Fold small amounts of flour into wet ingredients until it forms and becomes a soft dough. Reserve excess flour.
3. Once soft dough is formed, let sit in covered bowl for 5 minutes to rest.
4. Place dough on clean, floured countertop to reduce sticking. Kneed dough until smooth and elastic.
5. Cut dough into 4 equal parts and roll with fingers to form long and round, 1/2 thick ropes.
6. Cut dough into 3/4” segments and reserve on floured baking sheet, make sure gnocchi are not touching each other.
7. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place gnocchi in water and with a wooden spoon, carefully stir to separate. Then, boil for 5 minutes.
8. Remove gnocchi from heat and pour into colander. Lightly coat with Olive Oil.
9. Pour onto sheet pan and cool in refrigerator.
10. Heat saute pan over medium high heat. Add butter and gently place gnocchi in pan.
11. Brown each side for a crispy outer shell. Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
Corn Milk (Prep Time: 10 mins.)
1. Shuck and clean corn.
2. Remove kernels from cob with knife, cutting downwards into the pith of the cob.
3. Place kernels in food processor and pulse until macerated.
4. Pass corn puree through fine mesh strainer (chinois). Use the bottom of a ladle and press until puree is almost dry. Reserve liquid, discard pulp.
5. Heat double boiler and place corn liquid in bowl.
6. Heat until it thickens.
7. Place in small squirt bottle or use teaspoon to sauce plates.
Production (Plating Time: 3 mins.)
1. Place butter seared gnocchi’s in center of plate.
2. Next, use tongs to place wilted arugula on top of gnocchi.
3. Arrange 2 grilled half lobster tails together and place on top of arugula.
4. Spoon extra herb-infused butter over grilled lobster tails and shell.
5. Finish with circular pours of corn milk around plate.
6. Garnish with fresh rosemary. Serve and enjoy, Cheers!