How To Cook Steamer Clams
- Check for any cracked shells, toss them in the garbage. Also if there is any shells that are open and do not close when tapped on they are likely dead and need to be discarded.
- Place steamers clams in a large pot (large enough to submerge in water) cover clams with cold water.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of salt and mix well with your hand to dissolve salt.
- Let the clams sit for around an hour. They will release any grit that may have been inside them. Drain them and rinse well to remove any grit that may be in the bottom of the pot. Fill again with cold water and let them sit for another 20 minutes. Drain again.
- Be careful not to OVERCOOK! They are done as soon as the shells open wide.
- Cover the bottom of a pot with just a tiny amount of water, white wine, beer or butter and lemon. Heat on medium heat until liquid starts to boil.
- Add steamer clams and cover.
- How long to cook them depends on how many you are cooking so watch them carefully. It could be anywhere from 3 minutes for 1 pound to 10 minutes foe several pounds.
- Drain and enjoy with melted butter!